Poached eggs are delicious. But let’s be honest, unless they are being served to you at a cafe, they can be super tricky to get right at home! Many things can go wrong, from overcooking them to them completely falling apart. The struggle is real! SO, I thought I would share my foolproof way to perfectly poach eggs as well as some of my favourite poached egg combos!
How To Perfectly Poach an Egg:
- Prepare a small bowl of cold water.
- Crack your egg on the edge of the bowl (only one at a time), so it is easier for you to pour into the water when it is time.
- Fill a medium sized saucepan with water and add 2 tsp white vinegar and 1 tsp sea salt. Bring this to a boil over medium heat.
- Once water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and keep the water at a gentle simmer (there should only be small bubbles rising).
- Using a spoon, start stirring the simmering water until it creates a whirlpool. This can help to keep your eggs together as they cook and give them that perfect poached egg shape.
- Slide the egg into the water as close as possible to the whirlpool.
- If you like a soft poached egg, cook for 2-3 minutes or 3-4 minutes if you like a firm yolk.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the egg from the hot water into a bowl of cold water. This can stop the cooking process so you don’t overcook your egg.
- Remove from the cold water and pat dry on a plate lined with paper towel.
Tip: If you are new to poaching eggs, start off by cooking one egg at a time. Once you get more comfortable, you can poach more in one go. However, always be mindful not to overcrowd the pot as this may affect the way your eggs cook.
Now that you know how to perfectly poach an egg, here are some of my favourite ways to eat poached eggs:
- On toast with sliced avocado, lemon juice, pumpkin seeds and feta;
- On toast with grilled mushrooms and asparagus;
- On toast with sauteed tomatoes, red onion, mozzarella, balsamic glaze and extra virgin olive oil;
- On top of thick soups;
- In salad bowls.
I hope this has helped and that you always poach the perfect egg ;)
Love, Kayla xx