This is the perfect weeknight meal to quickly throw together. I love making pasta bakes in winter because they are the perfect comfort food - and they make great lunch leftovers for the next day!
100g wholemeal pasta (spirals or penne)
150g broccoli, cut into florets
150g cauliflower, cut into florets
½ tbsp olive oil
½ tbsp wholemeal flour
160ml low-fat milk
½ tsp wholegrain mustard
½ tsp dried oregano
50g low-fat cheese, grated
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1.Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 1-litre capacity ovenproof dish with cooking spray.
2. Fill a large saucepan with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (see the pasta packet for recommended cooking time). Add the broccoli and cauliflower to the saucepan in the last 4-5 minutes of cooking time. Drain well and return the pasta and cooked vegetables to the saucepan.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium heat, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add the milk and whisk until smooth. Stir the mixture constantly as it comes to a simmer. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often until the mixture thickens.
4. Remove from the heat; add the mustard, oregano and half the cheese to the white sauce. Stir until the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Pour the white sauce over the pasta and vegetables and gently mix through until everything is combined.
6. Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the remaining grated cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!Love, Kayla xx