Have you ever been to a friend's BBQ or family party and ALL the snacks are really unhealthy? But you're so hungry that you have no choice but to eat them? Well, not anymore! I always take a healthy snack to share when I go to a gathering. This black bean hummus recipe is definitely a crowd pleaser, so make enough to go around!
Black beans are really high in folic acid, magnesium and are a good source of potassium and iron too! All of these are essential nutrients your body needs to function properly. The high levels of fibre and protein in black beans helps to keep your digestive system healthy!
- 225g can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 225g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbs chopped chopped coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Drain and rinse black beans and chickpeas.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except the olive oil and salt/pepper. Process until smooth and thick.
- With the food processor turned on, slowly stream the olive oil into the hummus. Taste and add salt/pepper to your liking.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on the top before serving. Serve with chopped veggies such as cucumber sticks, carrots or even some pita bread.
Best part is, you can make this up to a week in advance and store in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it! Just add a little olive oil if it begins to dry out.
Enjoy, girls! x