I absolutely love rice paper rolls (or cold rolls as we call them in Australia). They are super light and fresh plus you can make them with virtually any ingredients you like! Another favourite of mine is to swap the chicken for prawns or if you are vegetarian, tofu. It is all about getting creative and having fun in the kitchen!
1 packet of rice paper wrappers (either 16cm or 22cm)
2 chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs sesame oil
2 tbs low salt soy sauce
1 carrot, cut into tiny strips
1 cucumber, cut into tiny strips
½ capsicum, chopped
½ red onion, chopped
2 tbs mint leaves, finely chopped
½ cup water (125ml)
1 tbs honey
3-4 tbs lime juice
2 tbs fish sauce
1 chilli, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
- In a bowl combine the chicken breasts, garlic cloves, oils and soy sauce. Marinate in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cook chicken on a frying pan until tender and cooked through. Let cool and slice into pieces.
- Place all your vegetables, herbs and nuts in one spot, ready to roll.
- Prepare a bowl of hot water to soak the wrappers.
- Make dipping sauce by mixing honey, water and lime juice. Taste and add more or less lime juice/honey as needed. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
How to Roll:
- Soak one rice wrapper at a time in the warm water until damp and flexible. Place it onto your working surface.
- Fill ⅓ of the wrapper with your vegetables,mint,walnuts and chicken. Start rolling away from you, tucking in the sides as you go. Your rolls will be thicker if you add in more filling.
- Serve with the dipping sauce! The rolls are best eaten fresh.
PS: If you don’t understand how to roll the rice paper, YouTube has tons of quick videos that make it much easier to understand!