These healthy baked apple recipe is the perfect dessert to serve up at your Thanksgiving dinner, they are SO delicious and full of fall inspired flavours!
Makes 4 Baked Apples
4 large apples, like Royal Gala, Red Delicious or Fuji
60ml fresh orange juice
½ tsp olive oil
35g dried cranberries
1 tbsp pecan nuts
½ tbsp orange zest
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp honey
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the pecans in a small non-stick fry pan over medium-low heat. Cook for approximately 4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring continuously. Set aside to cool then roughly chop into smaller pieces.
3. In a small saucepan, bring the water, orange juice and olive oil to the boil. Add the couscous before immediately taking the saucepan off the heat and covering with a lid. Leave for 2-3 minutes before “fluffing” with a fork to help separate the grains.
4. Place the couscous, cranberries, pecan nuts, orange zest and honey in a bowl and mix gently to combine.
5. Cut off the top third of the apple and set aside on a plate. Using a small sharp knife, carefully remove the flesh of the remaining apple to create a cavity 4cm in diameter. Be careful to not cut through the base of the apple.
6. Divide the couscous mixture between the apples and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
7. Replace the apple tops and cook for a further 15 minutes or until both the apples and tops are tender.
8. Meanwhile, to make the honey syrup: place the honey, water, cinnamon stick and star anise in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the syrup thickens. Set aside to cool.
9. Remove the apples from the oven and arrange on a serving plate.
10. Drizzle over the honey syrup. Serve and enjoy!