Warm yourself up on a weeknight with this Brazilian Fish Stew, packed with fresh herbs and spices giving it a deliciously flavoursome kick :)
200g brown rice
500g firm white fish fillets, cut into large pieces
½ lime, juiced
Salt, to taste
½ red capsicum
½ green capsicum
½ yellow capsicum
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium brown onions; 1 finely diced, 1 cut into rings
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 long fresh chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
1 bunch coriander, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
200ml warm water
3 medium tomatoes, sliced
300ml light coconut milk
500g medium green prawns, peeled, deveined
Lime wedges, to serve
1. To cook the rice: place the rice and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil uncovered, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
2. Place the fish pieces in a shallow dish. Marinate the fish with the lime juice and salt, to taste, while preparing the vegetables.
3. To prepare the capsicum: Finely dice half of the red, green and yellow capsicum and with the remaining capsicum, cut into slices.
4. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the finely diced onion and cook for 3 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, chilli (if using), finely diced capsicum and half the coriander and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, as desired.
5. Place the tomato paste and water in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
6. Place the fish in the saucepan on top of the vegetable mixture. Layer the onion rings, sliced capsicum and sliced tomato on top of the fish and pour over the coconut milk, tomato paste and water.
7. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the prawns, ensuring that the prawns are covered in the liquid. Cook for a further 4-5 minutes until the prawns and fish are cooked through.
8. Remove from the heat and garnish with the remaining coriander.
Serve the Moqueca with the cooked rice and lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Love, Kayla xx