Quinoa aka Kin-wahhhh!
A few girls have been asking online and via email what this healthy "quinoa" stuff is. Well, for those of that you don't know, it's one of the greatest things ever! Imagine rice, but better! Quinoa pronounced "kin-wah" is vastly becoming a popular substitute for rice and pasta. Not only because the flavour, texture and variety is great but because it is a superfood!
This South American superfood has zero gluten, has 8 EAA's (essential amino acids), is high in good quality carbohydrates and fibre as well as a huge amount of essential vitamins and minerals such as Iron and Calcium. At just 120 calories per 100g Quinoa is without a doubt one of my favourite substitutes for rice in dishes such as sushi, salads, stir-frys and I sometimes even add a small amount to wraps.
Raw quinoa in several different colours
How do you cook it?
- Combine 1 cup of quinoa with 1½ cups of filtered water and a pinch of sea salt and place in a pot
- Once the water has been brought to the boil, reduce the heat to very low and cover the pot with a lid
- Allow it to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed
- Once cooked, allow it to rest for five minutes before ‘fluffing’ it with a fork
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.