Healthy Valentine's Day Recipes!
Valentine's Day is just around the corner so I thought I would put together some of my favourite healthy recipes that you can serve throughout the day. Whether you're spending it with your significant other or just a close friend, these recipes are sure to impress!
Perfect Protein Pancakes Recipe
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Soy-free
- 3/4 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 15g any low carb protein whey isolate
- splash of almond milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil
1. Mix the greek yoghurt and egg until it is creamy.
2. In a different bowl mix the flour, protein powder and baking soda.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry along with a splash of almond milk.
4. Heat the coconut oil until it has melted, place a dollop of mixture into the pan shaped like a love heart and cook like regular pancakes.
5. If you are finding it hard to make heart shapes free hand you could also cook the pancakes in regular circles and then use a heart shaped cutter to cut them out.
6. Serve with pure maple syrup or honey and top with chopped strawberries.
Herb-Crusted Salmon and Grilled Asparagus Recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Dietary preferences: Pescatarian
- 2 x 200g salmon fillets, skin off
- 2 slices wholemeal bread, crusts removed
- 1 tbs finely grated parmesan cheese
- Freshly grated zest of half a lemon
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180c fan forced (350f). Line a baking tray with foil.
2. Place the bread into a food processor or kitchen chopper and pulse to form rough crumbs. Add the parmesan, lemon zest, all the herbs and egg white. Season with salt and pepper then pulse until just combined.
3. Place the salmon on the baking tray, brush with 1 tbs oil and press the breadcrumb mixture on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crust is golden and fish is cooked.
4. Meanwhile blanch the asparagus in salted boiling water for 1 minute then drain. In a frying pan heat remaining oil and toss in asparagus and walnuts, cooking for a further 2 minutes.
5. Take salmon out of the oven and serve with asparagus.
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
Total time: 5 mins + 30 mins chilling time
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-free
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- crushed nuts (optional)
1. Remove green stems from strawberries and cut into the tops to make a love heart shape.
2. Melt chocolate in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring well each time until fully melted.
3. Use a toothpick to secure the strawberries and dip in chocolate, laying out onto a plate or baking paper.
4. You can also dip them into crushed nuts after you have dipped them in the chocolate.
5. Refrigerate until set, and serve.
I hope you enjoy these recipes, they are fairly simple to make meaning you get more time with your loved ones and avoid any cooking disasters (trust me they seem to happen at the worst of times!).
Happy Valentine's Day!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.