Healthy Bircher Muesli
I love this healthy bircher muesli recipe, it is a great quick and healthy breakfast option!
Bircher muesli is traditionally made using oats and apple, but you can switch out oats for quinoa to get a nutritional boost, as I’ve done in this recipe. Quinoa is suitable for anyone with a sensitivity to gluten. Its high protein and micronutrient content make it a great choice for busy women who need a reliable, lasting energy source in the morning.
Quinoa is a unique plant-based food because it contains all nine essential amino acids (nutrients that we need to eat because they aren’t made by our body). It also contains iron and magnesium, minerals which help to keep your cardiovascular system healthy and play a role in the formation of strong bones, both very important for women’s health.
Bircher Muesli Recipe (With Quinoa Swapped For Oats)
Try this muesli for breakfast, or as a nutritious afternoon snack.
Prep time: 5 mins + 1 hour - overnight chilling time
Cook time: 10-12 mins
Total time: 15-17 mins + 1 hour - overnight chilling time
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Gluten-free
- 100g (½ cup) quinoa
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 medium apple, grated
- 125ml low-fat milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp raisins (or sultanas)
- 130g (½ cup) low-fat plain yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp almond flakes, toasted
- 1-2 fresh figs, halved or quartered (or other seasonal fresh fruit), to serve
1. Bring the quinoa, 250ml (1 cup) water and the cinnamon stick to the boil in a small saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Remove from the heat. Discard the cinnamon stick, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
2. Transfer the cooled cooked quinoa to a mixing bowl. Add the apple, milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, coconut and raisins, and mix until well combined. Cover with plastic film and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
3. Add the yoghurt and stir to combine.
4. To serve, spoon the bircher muesli into two serving bowls and top with extra yoghurt, toasted almond flakes and fresh figs. Enjoy!
This recipe makes two serves, but if you want to make more just multiply the quantity of the ingredients and refrigerate for up to a week in a sealed container. If you forget to prepare ahead, or it’s the middle of winter, you might prefer hot quinoa porridge instead.
The best thing about this bircher muesli is that you can make it using whatever you have in your kitchen. If figs aren’t in season, some other tasty options include fresh berries, sliced peaches or apricots, or sliced banana.
You can make this muesli with oats if you don’t have quinoa. Try adding other grains like buckwheat or rye flakes to the mix for extra wholegrain health benefits. For a vegan variation, try using oat or almond milk and coconut yoghurt.
Meal prep your breakfast with this nutritious bircher muesli!
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can meal prep it for breakfast for a whole week in advance! When I know I’m going to be super busy, I like to prepare ahead. This means I don’t have to worry about what I’m going to eat because I have a healthy breakfast ready for each day.
Being healthy doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming! Preparing your meals ahead of time is a great way to save time and put your health first. It’s much healthier than opting for a muffin or bagel when you get the munchies mid-morning.
I’d love to hear how you make bircher muesli! Let me know in the comments below.
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.