Broccoli & Kale Green Soup Recipe
This soup may initially scare you off if you aren’t really a ‘greens’ person, but don’t let it fool you! The flavours are delicious and make getting nutrients in super easy - the addition of the herbs and spices really take this soup to the next level.
This soup can also have alkalising benefits due to the ingredients used like parsley, garlic, kale and broccoli. Perfect if you are feeling under the weather or want a health boost!
If you are a greens lover, check out my favourite green smoothie recipe!
Broccoli and Kale Green Soup Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Nut-free
- 1 large bunch curly kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ large leek, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 whole head broccoli, roughly chopped
- ½ head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 L salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 1 small handful parsley, roughly chopped
- 300ml light coconut milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place half of the kale in a bowl and drizzle over 1 tablespoon oil. Toss to coat, ensuring that all the kale is lightly coated in the oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Place the kale on the lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the leaves are tender, crisp on the edges and slightly browned. Using tongs, gently turn the kale halfway through the cooking time.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, cumin, ginger, thyme and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in the broccoli, cauliflower and stock and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the parsley and remaining kale and cook, covered, for a further 6-8 minutes.
5. Carefully puree the soup with a hand-held blender, or in batches using a blender, until smooth. Return the soup to a medium-low heat and stir through 250ml of coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
6. When the soup has heated through, ladle into serving bowls. Serve the soup with a swirl of the remaining coconut milk and top with the crispy kale. Enjoy!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.