How To Workout Without A Gym
Have you made a goal to get fit and healthy? Sometimes this type of goal can be hard to achieve if you don't have access to a gym. Instead of giving up on your goal before you even start, I thought I would put together a few ways you can achieve your health and fitness goals WITHOUT needing a gym!
How to workout without a gym
1. Set up a home gym
Having your own dedicated space to exercise can sometimes be half the battle to getting started and staying motivated. Setting up your "home gym" can be as simple as setting up a yoga mat in the living room (or wherever you have enough space to move!) to creating a brand new room with some pretty exciting home gym equipment.
If you're just starting out, start small with the essentials and gradually build up your home setup as you get stronger, fitter and add new exercises into your routine.
2. Invest in dumbbells and a yoga mat
You can buy a set of dumbbells from practically anywhere these days, and having a set of weights at home can help take your exercises to the next level. You can get away with buying one size or if you want to challenge yourself buy a few different ones. The best bit about using dumbbells is they are super compact so you can store them anywhere, and also workout with them anywhere! They aren’t as expensive as other gym machines and can give you the same type of workout. My workouts use equipment such as dumbbells and medicine balls to help build your strength, however if you don’t own these they can easily be replaced with other household items.
The same goes with a yoga mat, it will help when you are completing body weight exercises and need to lay on or touch the ground. Investing in a few quality workout tools will last a lifetime and you will get so much use out of them.
2. Try an online personal trainer
When you don’t have time or the money to go to a gym and train with a personal trainer, you can try online trainers. The SWEAT app has everything you need to live a healthy lifestyle including structured workout programs, on-demand workouts, rehabilitation sessions, meal plans, recipes plus so much more! The best bit is you can complete any of the workouts literally anywhere - from your bedroom floor to a hotel room.
4. Create a schedule
It can be easy to follow a schedule when you are physically going to a gym because you set aside time on certain days to make sure you can do it. The same goes for your home workouts! A great tip is to buy a calendar and pencil in what you wish to do on which day of the week. This way you are also helping keep yourself accountable and motivated. Once you get started the schedule will develop into a habit and become a regular part of your routine.
5. Get creative with your fitness
Exercising isn’t just limited to working out on gym machines. Think outside the square and take it back to your childhood — grab a friend and go down to your local tennis or basketball court and play a few games. Riding your bike or hiking are also great ways to exercise that is super fun. These activities are free to do and will leave you feeling full of energy.
6. Exercise outdoors
Who says you need fancy machines to complete cardio? Take it outside! One of my favourite things to do is go for walks. Find a nearby fitness trail or hiking track to really get your heart pumping and blood flowing. I find this so much more interesting than walking on a treadmill and if you take a friend with you it won’t even seem like you are exercising! I love using the LISS timer on my SWEAT app because it gives me a goal to work towards when I’m walking.
7. Try these home workout exercises
The following exercises are from the SWEAT app and you can complete them wherever you have a little bit of room. Try 25 reps of each exercise and complete 3 rounds for a quick workout you can do anytime!
- Start by placing your forearms (wrist to elbow) on the floor and extending both of your legs behind you, resting on the balls of your feet. This is called a plank position.
- Release your right forearm and place your right hand firmly on the floor directly below your right shoulder.
- Push up onto your right hand, followed immediately by your left in the same pattern.
- Ensure that you brace through your abdominals to prevent your hips from swaying.
- Return to plank position by releasing your right hand and lowering onto your forearm, before doing the same with your left hand.
- Repeat this exercise, starting with your left hand. Continue alternating between right and left for the specified number of repetitions.
- Place both hands on the floor shoulder width apart and both feet together behind you, resting on the balls of your feet. This is your starting position.
- Keeping your left foot on the floor, bend your RIGHT knee and bring it in towards your chest.
- Extend your right leg and return to starting position.
- Keeping your right foot on the floor, bend your LEFT knee and bring it in towards your chest. Extend your left leg and return to starting position.
- Continue alternating between right and left for the specified number of repetitions.
- Gradually increase your speed, ensuring that the leg that is moving does not touch the floor.
- Plant both feet on the floor slightly further than shoulder width apart. Looking straight ahead, bend at both the hips and knees, and place your hands on the floor directly in front of your feet.
- Keeping your body weight on your hands, kick both of your feet backwards so that your legs are completely extended behind you, resting on the balls of your feet. Your body should be in one straight line from head to toe.
- Jump both of your feet in towards your hands, ensuring that your feet remain shoulder width apart.
- Propel your body upwards in one explosive movement. Extend your legs below you and your arms above your head.
- Land in a neutral standing position, ensuring that you maintain “soft” knees to prevent injury.
- Repeat for the specified number of repetitions.
It's easy to get fit without a gym
As you can see there are SO many ways to exercise without a gym! It's just about focusing on your goals, ignoring excuses and sticking to your plan. You can do it!
Love, Kayla xx
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.