Healthy Chocolate Truffles Recipe
Healthy Chocolate Truffles Recipe
When it comes to holiday treats, they don’t come much more decadent than chocolate truffles!
I have shared some yummy holiday recipes before, like these Christmas energy balls, but these chocolate truffles are rich and delicious. You can really indulge that holiday sweet craving with these and they are nice and rich, so you won’t feel like eating a lot of them!
The holidays are all about sharing so this recipe caters to a number of dietary preferences — you can make easy chocolate truffles that are suitable for friends who eat vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free. Okay, so you might not want to share because these are so good but I’m saying you CAN share! 😄
In case you’re wondering how to make chocolate truffles with filling that will look AND taste amazing, I have included everything you need to know in this recipe!
Easy Chocolate Truffles Recipe
These chocolate truffles take less than an hour to make so you can whip them up the day of any holiday celebrations or prepare them ahead of time and keep them in the fridge.
Prep time: 10 mins + 30 mins chilling time
Total time: 40 mins
Serves: 16 truffles
Dietary preferences: Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-free, Gluten-free
- 100g unsalted cashew nuts
- 10 medjool dates, pitted, chopped
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp cacao powder
- 100g coconut oil, melted
- 40ml pure maple syrup
Toppings of choice:
- 5g desiccated coconut
- 10g unsalted pistachio kernels, chopped finely
- 5g freeze-dried raspberries, crushed.
1. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the cashews, medjool dates, almond butter, sea salt and half of the cacao powder in a food processor and process for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally. The mixture should be a little sticky.
3. Scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture and roll it into a ball using wet hands. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make about 16 truffles. Place the truffles on the lined tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. To make the raw chocolate coating, whisk the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and the remaining half of the cacao powder in a small mixing bowl. Ensure that the cacao powder has dissolved completely.
5. To serve, roll the truffles in the raw chocolate and decorate with a suggested topping to coat and return to the baking tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the chocolate shell is firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy!
Decorating chocolate truffles
Another way to make these truffles even better is to get creative and decorate them with nuts or other healthy toppings!
I’ve put a few suggestions for decorating the truffles below:
Coconut Chocolate Truffles
Because we celebrate Christmas in the summer in Australia, coconut is often included in so many holiday dishes because it’s a fruit that is in season. Coconut and chocolate just seem to go together! That’s why I love adding some coconut to my truffles too.
After rolling the truffles in raw chocolate, sprinkle over desiccated coconut. Place them on a lined baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Pistachio Chocolate Truffles
Add a pistachio topping for a little crunch!
After rolling the truffles in raw chocolate, sprinkle over chopped pistachio kernels. Place them on a lined baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Chocolate Raspberry Truffles
A classic flavour combination, top your truffles with crushed freeze-dried raspberry — it balances the rich chocolate flavour perfectly.
After rolling the truffles in raw chocolate, sprinkle over freeze-dried raspberry. Place them on a lined baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Celebrate the holidays with indulgent chocolate truffles
Now that the holiday season is creeping up on us, it’s a great opportunity to try out new recipes! While you might be trying to stay healthy during the holidays, remember that you don’t have to pass up eating the treats you look forward to either.
I love making these melt-in-your-mouth chocolate truffles and getting them ready to share with everyone. Make sure you snap a photo if you make these — I would love to see how they turn out for you!
Love, Kayla xx
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.