My Skincare Routine
My Skincare Routine
Hi girls! This has been one of my most highly requested blog posts so I'm really happy to be sharing it with you. My skincare routine is fairly simple. It's important to note that what works best for me, may not work best for you. It's also really important to remember that having healthy skin starts from the inside. These products and tips have helped me, so I hope they can help you too!
First, a little bit of background about my skin. From the ages of 15-18 I suffered from acne and like every self conscious teen I tried covering it up with cheap makeup - which of course made it worse. I was eating a lot of highly processed foods and foods high in sugar which was causing my skin to be very dry with excess oil on my forehead and nose. I decided enough was enough - so I completely changed my diet, got rid of the junk food and started eating whole foods that weren't heavily processed and all natural. Not only did this clear my skin up immensely it also made me feel 100% times better on the inside! I had more energy and I felt better overall. Now I stick to a simple routine, but make sure that I keep it consistent so that my skin doesn't freak out.
Here are my favourite products and tips on how to have healthy skin:
1. Wash Your Bed Sheets and Pillows Regularly: I cannot stress enough how important this is! And no, not just because I am a clean freak :p haha. We spend every night in our beds, and if you don't clean your skin properly all the oils and dirt from that day gets transferred over to your sheets and pillows. This eventually builds up and ends up blocking your skin and may make you break out. I wash my bed sheets, covers and pillow cases on a weekly basis and I think this really makes a huge difference in how clear my skin is. I will also flip my pillows over daily so I am not sleeping on the same side of my pillow every night.
2. Makeup Remover: I generally don't wear foundation unless I really have to, and that is usually for things like photoshoots. I do like to use eyeliner and mascara on a daily basis, so having an eye makeup remover is crucial to me. I like using coconut oil on a round cotton pad and gently pressing it on my eye and removing the makeup that way. It removes makeup so easily without tugging on your lashes! Johnson's Baby Wipes are also a life saver because they are really gentle and don't irritate my skin.
3. Cleanser: I cleanse my face every night before I go to bed and I have been using the Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser for years now. I like it because it doesn't irritate my skin, and is really gentle.
4. Moisturiser: I switch out what I use to moisturise my face with depending on what I feel like but it is usually coconut oil, rosehip oil or the Olay Complete Defence Daily UV Moisturising Lotion. I like using the Olay moisturiser in the morning because it contains SPF 30+ and it's important to wear sunscreen on a daily basis to prevent premature ageing - especially if you are outside a lot like me!
5. Face Mask: Although daily cleansing is good I have found using a face mask once or twice every two weeks really helps to deep cleanse and get the remaining dirt out of my pores (this isn't always visible until you put a face mask on).
6. Diet: This is one of the most important parts of a good skincare routine, and often the one that people neglect the most. There is no point buying skincare products if you aren't nourishing your skin from the inside first. I recommended to cut out all processed foods and soft drinks, and aim to eat fruit and vegetables every single day. Another important thing to do is to make sure you are drinking plenty of water, this hydrates and nourishes your skin making it look healthy and glowing.
Those are the basics of my skincare routine! I find keeping things simple works best for me and I tend to stick the the same products. What are your skincare favourites?
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.