Easy Huevos Rancheros
Ladies, you all know how much I love to share simple and healthy recipes! I think it can be easy to overcomplicate healthy eating. There can be lots of ways to make your meals healthier without spending hours grocery shopping and preparing meals.
Because the BBG Community is spread all over the world, I also want to share healthy recipes that are inspired by some of YOUR favourite dishes. Today, I have an amazing easy huevos rancheros recipe to share with you all!
What is huevos rancheros?
Loosely translated to mean ‘ranch-style eggs’, huevos rancheros is a Mexican dish that is often eaten for breakfast. There are many variations but the basics include a tortilla, fresh vegetables and beans topped with an egg. Huevos rancheros might look like quite a simple dish but there are layers of flavour!
I love how quick this is to prepare — you can have it on the table in less than 15 minutes.
Easy Huevos Rancheros
While this is traditionally a breakfast recipe, you can make huevos rancheros for any meal! It makes a great quick and healthy brunch for a weekend or it can be a quick weeknight dinner too.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 7 mins
Total time: 12 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Gluten-free, Nut-free, Dairy-free
- oil spray
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp Refried Beans
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ⅛ small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped, plus more for garnish
- ½ medium lime, juiced
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 small handful baby spinach
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ medium lime, cut into wedges, to serve.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and lightly spray with oil spray. Crack one egg into a small bowl and gently pour the egg into the fry pan. Repeat with the second egg. Cook the eggs for 1-2 minutes or until the white is opaque and the yolk has set. Transfer them to a small plate and set aside.
- To make the tomato salsa, place the tomatoes, onion, coriander, lime juice and jalapeno, if using, in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and mix until well combined.
- Reheat the skillet over medium-high heat. Add one tortilla and heat it for a few minutes until it’s warm and lightly toasted. Transfer it to a plate and repeat with the second tortilla.
- To serve the Easy Huevos Rancheros, spread a tablespoon of the refried beans on each tortilla and top with the baby spinach, fried eggs, tomato salsa and avocado. Garnish with extra coriander. Enjoy!
Adding healthy refried beans can make this recipe even more filling. Having something like this will keep you going all morning. That is what makes this recipe so amazing — it is so quick and easy to prepare!
If you loved my breakfast enchiladas recipe but feel as though you don’t have enough time to prepare it in the morning, huevos rancheros can be a great back-up plan.
Enjoy this easy huevos rancheros recipe!
I’m sure you’ve all heard me talk about how important it is to eat a healthy breakfast each day. Skipping breakfast can make it hard to focus, plus you might find you have low energy levels. Eating regular meals and snacks is a great way to keep your body energised and to help keep your blood sugar levels steady throughout the day.
I love being able to share quick recipes on my blog to help you stay on track with healthy eating and meal planning. Make sure you sign up to my newsletter to have more healthy recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.