Lemongrass Chicken Skewers
There's more to healthy eating than choosing foods only for the nutrients they provide for your body. Don’t get me wrong, this is super important — but I also love to remind people that food can make us feel good in other ways too!
Food has always been a big part of my life — my family gatherings always involve a lot of food! Mealtime is very much family time where we can just enjoy being in each other’s company, which is so important for us.
Sharing delicious meals that nourish our bodies and makes us feel good is a great end to a busy day. This Lemongrass Chicken Skewers recipe is perfect for sharing — they are SO tasty and really simple to put together. I’ve also included some suggestions for an easy salad and dressing you can enjoy with them.
Lemongrass has the most amazing smell — you can actually find it in a lot of mood-boosting aromatherapy blends. So, if you’re in the mood for a quick and healthy dinner that will put a smile on your face, this is definitely it!
Lemongrass chicken skewers
Prep time: 25 mins + 1 hour refrigeration time
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 45 mins + 1 hour refrigeration time
Serves: 2 (makes 6 skewers)
Dietary Preferences: Dairy-free, Gluten-free
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, roughly chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ long red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 small handful coriander (cilantro) leaves and stalks
- 300g (11 oz) chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced
- 4-6 skewers
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves, to garnish
- Lime wedges, to serve
1. If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before using. This will help stop the skewers from burning when cooking the kebabs.
2. Place the lemongrass, ginger, chilli, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce and coriander (cilantro) in a small food processor and process until a paste forms.
3. Place the chicken in a large bowl, add the paste and mix until well combined. Ensure that all the chicken is coated in the paste. Cover and refrigerate for one hour to allow the flavours to develop.
4. Preheat a barbecue grill plate or chargrill pan over high heat.
5. Thread the chicken evenly onto the skewers and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the chicken is lightly charred and cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
6. To serve, place the lemongrass skewers on a serving plate and serve with a peanut dressing and your favourite salad (my Super Green Rice Salad is perfect with these skewers). Garnish with coriander (cilantro) and serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
My Lemongrass Chicken Skewers are perfect for sharing!
If you can’t get enough of that fresh lemongrass taste, make sure you check out my Healthy Green Chicken Curry Recipe too — the green paste is made with lemongrass and it is packed with WAY more flavour than any store-bought variety!
Have you tried my lemongrass chicken recipe? Let me know in the comments!
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.