Lemongrass Chicken Skewers
Often when we talk about eating healthily, the focus is on the nutrients we’re providing for our bodies. Don’t get me wrong, these are super important but I also love to remind people that food can make us feel good in other ways too.
Food has always been a big part of my life — my family gatherings always involve a lot of food! Meal time is very much family time, which is so important for us.
When I prepare a healthy dinner at home, I do it knowing that Tobi and I will sit down to eat it together. This is our time — we talk about our day and just enjoy being in each other’s company. Sharing a delicious meal that nourishes our bodies and makes us feel good is a great end to a busy day. I guess you could say it’s good for the soul!
The recipe I’ve got for you today is perfect for sharing and to remind you that food can make you feel good! These Lemongrass Chicken Skewers are so tasty and really simple to put together, which is ideal after a busy day. I’ve also included some suggestions for an easy salad and dressing you can include with these skewers.
Lemongrass has the most amazing smell — you can actually find it in a lot of mood-boosting aromatherapy blends. So, if you’re in the mood for a quick and healthy dinner that will put a smile on your face, this is definitely it!
Lemongrass Chicken Skewers
Prep time: 25 mins + 1 hour refrigeration time
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 45 mins + 1 hour refrigeration time
Serves: 2 (makes 6 skewers)
Dietary Preferences: Dairy-free, Gluten-free
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, roughly chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ long red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 small handful coriander leaves and stalks
- 300g chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced
- 4-6 skewers
- coriander leaves, to garnish
- lime wedges, to serve
1. If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before using. This will help stop the skewers from burning when cooking the kebabs.
2. Place the lemongrass, ginger, chilli, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce and coriander in a small food processor and process until a paste forms.
3. Place the chicken in a large bowl, add the paste and mix until well combined. Ensure that all the chicken is coated in the paste. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate for one hour to allow the flavours to develop.
4. Preheat a barbecue grill-plate or chargrill pan over high heat.
5. Thread the chicken evenly onto the skewers and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the chicken is lightly charred and cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
6. To serve, place the lemongrass skewers on a serving plate and serve with a peanut dressing and your favourite salad (my Super Green Rice Salad is perfect with these skewers). Garnish with coriander and serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
If you can’t get enough of that beautiful lemongrass taste, make sure you check out my Healthy Green Chicken Curry Recipe too. The green paste is made with lemongrass and it is packed with WAY more flavour than any store-bought variety!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.