I LOVE having eggs for breakfast. It's really important to have a protein packed meal to kick-start your day! Eggs are a perfect choice as they keep you full for longer, so you won't be as tempted to reach for those mid-morning snacks! Try one of these delicious healthy recipes next time you're stuck for breakfast ideas.
Egg White & Spinach Omelette (Serves 1)
- ½ cup baby spinach
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 3 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200c (400f). Spray an ovenproof skillet with cooking spray and sauté your chopped onion for 3-4 minutes until translucent, on a stovetop. Add your spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Crack 3 egg whites over the top. Season with some salt and pepper, add sliced tomatoes and transfer and bake in the oven for 17 minutes.
Poached Eggs with Spinach & Tomato (Serves 1)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- ½ cup tomato
- ½ spinach
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 pieces rye bread
- Pour water into a large saucepan 8cm deep, add vinegar and bring to boil over a medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low (water should still be simmering). Crack one egg into a shallow bowl. Use a wooden spoon to create a whirlpool in the water, and then tip the egg in. Cook for 3-4 minutes and using a slotted spoon remove from water. Repeat with other egg.
- Heat oil in a pan and add spinach and tomato, cook until spinach is wilted and tomato is soft.
- Toast rye bread and top with spinach & tomato mixture, and eggs.
Baked Eggs (Serves 1)
- 1 cup plum tomatoes halved
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ tsp chopped oregano
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbs parmesan cheese
**Steps one and two can be done in advance, eg the night before
- Preheat oven to 200c (400f). Arrange tomatoes cut side up on a roasting pan and toss with garlic, olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, turn and roast until soft, a further 20 minutes.
- Let tomatoes cool then scrap mixture into a blender and puree. Add oregano.
- Place a shallow ovenproof bowl onto a baking sheet. Strain the pureed sauce into the bowls, crack eggs into bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs and bake for about 15 minutes, until the whites are just set. Serve hot.