I love making stuffed capsicums! It's such a bright and tasty way to serve one of my favourite veggies and the recipe is really easy to adjust to suit your personal preferences. This recipe serves four people so next time you have friends over for dinner, try this!
2/3 cup quinoa, uncooked
350mL chicken stock, salt-reduced
1 tbsp coconut oil
250g chicken mince (or 1 cup cubed, cooked pumpkin for vegetarian option)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, trimmed, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbs pinenuts, toasted
2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
75g feta cheese
4 large capsicums, halved lengthways, seeded
1. Preheat oven to 160C fan-forced (or 340F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Rinse the quinoa well under cold running water until the water runs clear. Place in a saucepan with the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Set aside to cool.
3. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, add coconut oil. Cook the onion until translucent. Add the zucchini and chicken mince, cook for a further 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin, cooking for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. Place onion and chicken mixture, quinoa, pinenuts, parsley, tomato and feta in a large bowl. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
5. Stuff the capsicums with the mixture and place on prepared tray. Cover the tray with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and the stuffing is golden.