This recipe will add the spring into your step every morning! I LOVE eating muesli in the mornings but unfortunately a lot of the store-bought ones are FULL of sugar and additives. The worst thing you can do is load up your body with refined sugar in the morning, as you can suffer from a blood sugar spike and then crash later during the day. Making your own muesli is so easy and SO much healthier for you. This is a standard recipe but you can always mix it up and add things that you love such as other nuts, spices and some dried fruits like goji berries (just don't go overboard on these).
This recipe makes 5-6 serves.
2 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup puffed quinoa
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 small pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 150C (300F).
2. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, making sure all the dry ingredients are all well coated with the wet ingredients.
3. Spread the mixture into a very thin layer on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden or to your liking.
5. Cool and store in a air tight container or glass jar.
Store in a cool dry place for up to two weeks. I would serve this with yoghurt or milk and freshly chopped fruit.