This healthy carrot cake is the perfect Easter treat to make for your family and friends. It is a healthier version of the traditional carrot cake, and it definitely does not compromise on taste.
2 cups of wholemeal or spelt flour
3 cups of carrot, peeled and grated
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup of raw honey
½ cup coconut oil, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup coconut cream (if you don’t have this you can substitute for ½ cup applesauce)
½ cup applesauce
1 tbs lemon zest
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup of coconut cream
250g cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180c fan forced (350f). Grease two 22 cm round cake pans with a little coconut oil.
- Using a spoon mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Beat the eggs until foamy and then pour in the honey and beat further. Add the melted coconut oil, coconut cream, vanilla extract and applesauce and beat for a further minute.
- Slowly add in the flour until it is just mixed in.
- Add in the grated carrot, walnuts and lemon zest then mix gently.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake for about 30 mins,using a toothpick inserted in the middle to check if it is cooked.
- Let the cakes cool.
- Make frosting by beating all the ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cooled cakes then sandwich them together to make one cake.