When it comes to snack bars, sometimes it can be better to make your own. This way you can bypass buying any from the shops that can be full of refined sugar and additives! These are the perfect snack to take to work or school, so what are you waiting for? Make your batch of healthy snack bars today!
Makes 12 bars
4 tbsp (¼ cup) peanut butter or nut butter of choice
90g (¼ cup) honey or brown rice syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
100g (3 cups) puffed rice
30g (¼ cup) cashew nuts
30g (¼ cup) pumpkin seeds
30g (¼ cup) dried cranberries
15g sunflower seeds
3 tsp mixed black and white sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) and line a 20cm square baking pan with baking paper. Ensure that the baking paper overhangs the sides so you can easily remove the snack bars from the pan.
2. Place the peanut butter, honey and vanilla in a small saucepan over a low heat. Heat gently until the peanut butter has softened and the ingredients are well combined, stirring frequently.
3. Meanwhile, place the puffed rice, cashew nuts, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds in a large bowl and until well combined.
4. Pour over the peanut butter and honey mixture and mix until well combined and the rice mixture is completely coated with the peanut butter and honey mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press down with the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Remove the snack bars from the pan using the overhang of the baking paper and cut into 12 bars using a sharp knife.
6. Wrap each bar individually in plastic film and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. These wrapped bars can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months, just thaw before enjoying!
Love, Kayla xx