Want to get into the Halloween spirit but you're not up for carving into a pumpkin? I feel you! It's not all about trick or treat either! Why not spook your friends out with these healthy Jack-o-Lantern Stuffed Capsicums for dinner :)
Ingredients (serves 4):
120g brown rice
4 yellow capsicums
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 zucchini, grated
1 medium tomato, diced
40g pine nuts
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
1 lemon, zested
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking dish with baking paper.
2. To cook the rice: bring the rice and water to the boil in a small saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Cut the tops off the capsicums and set aside. Scoop out the seeds and membrane. Using a small knife, cut holes in the capsicums to make jack-o-lantern faces - triangle eyes and noses and toothy smiles. Stand the capsicums in the prepared dish. If the capsicums don’t stand up straight, just slice a small amount off the bottom to create a flat surface.
4. Heat half the oil in a large non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cumin and cook for a further minute, until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the zucchini and tomato and stir to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes until heated through, stirring occasionally.
6. Transfer the zucchini and tomato mixture to a large bowl. Add the cooked rice, pine nuts, parsley, salt, pepper and lemon zest and mix well to combine.
7. Divide the rice mixture evenly between the capsicums. Place the reserved tops on each of the capsicums. Drizzle the remaining oil over the capsicums and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the capsicums are cooked through and al dente.
Serve the capsicums with your favourite fresh green salad.