Broccoli and Cauliflower Pasta Bake
This is the perfect weeknight meal to quickly throw together. I love making pasta bakes in winter because they are the perfect comfort food - and they make great lunch leftovers for the next day! If you enjoy this pasta bake, make sure you check out more of my favourite pasta recipes.
Broccoli And Cauliflower Pasta Bake
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35-40 mins
Total time: 45-50 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Nut-free
- 100g wholemeal pasta (spirals or penne)
- 150g broccoli, cut into florets
- 150g cauliflower, cut into florets
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp wholemeal flour
- 160ml low-fat milk
- ½ tsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 50g low-fat cheese, grated
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 1-litre capacity ovenproof dish with cooking spray.
2. Fill a large saucepan with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (see the pasta packet for the recommended cooking time). Add the broccoli and cauliflower to the saucepan in the last 4-5 minutes of cooking time. Drain well and return the pasta and cooked vegetables to the saucepan. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add the milk and whisk until smooth. Stir the mixture constantly as it comes to a simmer. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often until the mixture thickens.
4. Remove from the heat; add the mustard, oregano and half the cheese to the white sauce. Stir until the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Pour the white sauce over the pasta and vegetables and gently mix through until everything is combined.
6. Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the remaining grated cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.