4 Patriotic 4th of July Recipes You Have To Try!
It's almost the 4th of July (yes even us Aussie's know about it!), which is super exciting, but can lead to a relaxed eating regime. I'm not saying naughty snacks are forbidden, but it is important to enjoy your holiday without throwing a lot of hard work out the window!
So I have come up with some healthy, and not to mention, delicious snacks to incorporate into your 4th of July festivities! They are super simple to make, and will probably make a big splash vs your typical burgers and hotdogs.
Just pull those red, whites, and blues from mother nature, with some fresh fruit! These flags have strawberries, blueberries, and bananas packing in some serious nutrients to power you through your holiday on a natural high!
- Start by cutting 12-16 strawberries in half, lengthwise.
- Take approximately 4 bananas and slice thick pieces into discs.
- Using wooden skewers, take the fruit, and press onto the skewer to create the red, white, and blue!
Using similar ingredients as above, you can add one more, yogurt, for a completely different snack! By adding yogurt, you are packing a calcium, probiotic, and B12 punch into your tasty treat. Follow the steps below to make the layers for these delicious pops.
You will need strawberries, yogurt, and blueberries and ice block moulds
- For the first layer, cut up strawberries into small pieces. Put 1/2 of a tablespoon of the chopped strawberries into the bottom of the popsicle mold.
- Next, add a small amount of water to slightly cover the berries (Just a few drops at a time). Freeze upright for at least one hour.
- For the second layer, spoon out 1/2 tablespoon of plain or vanilla yogurt on top of the strawberry layer, then return to the freezer for one hour, again remaining upright.
- Before adding the third layer, put wooden sticks into each pop
- For layer 3 and 4, repeat steps two and three until there is only a little room at the top left.
- For the final layer, fill the top of the popsicle mold with whole blueberries, then cover the blueberries slightly with water. Return to freezer until popsicles are completely frozen.
- After an hour or two, they are ready to eat!
Sparkling Red, White, & Blue (healthy fizzy water)
Keep it classy with this vibrant infused sparkly refreshment! A bit less time consuming than the previous recipes, this seltzer will still deliver on taste.
You will need:
- 1 liter of sparkling mineral water
- 2 fresh lemons
- some blueberries
- a few strawberries cut into wedges
- 1 -2 peaches cut into slices
- mint for topping
Simply squeeze the lemons into the soda water, adding as many blueberries, strawberries, and peaches as you like. Add a sprig of mint on top to garnish, and of course a few ice cubes to keep it chilled!
American Flag Fruit Smoothie
This is a delicious layered treat, using raspberries, blueberries, and bananas. To make one, take one cup raspberries, one cup bananas, and 1/2 cup blueberries.
- Blend 1/2 cup blueberries, and pour into the bottom of your cup
- Blend one cup bananas, and pour only 1/4 of the mixture into your cup
- Blend one cup raspberries, and also pour only 1/4 of the mixture into your cup
- Continue alternating with the banana and raspberry puree until you have used all the mixture (or your cup is full!)
- Top it off with a fun straw :)
Note: although time consuming, it may be best to rinse your blender between fruits to get the layered effect.
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.