Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake
Sticking to a healthy eating routine doesn't have to be hard! If you feel like eating cake, you can be healthy and have dessert.
One way to stick to your goals is to eat healthier versions of your favourite recipes. My chocolate mug cake is a healthy sweet treat — and will make you feel as good as it tastes!
- Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- Why is this healthy chocolate mug cake recipe so good for you?
This recipe is packed with nutritious ingredients, and it's also the perfect single-serve portion to satisfy any chocolate craving. The best bit? It only takes four minutes to make!
I personally love the combo of cacao and fresh raspberries in this recipe but you can use any type of fruit as a topping: try sliced banana with a teaspoon of natural peanut butter or blueberries with Greek yoghurt.
Even without toppings, this mug cake tastes SO good! I promise you’ll want to make this recipe again and again.
Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 2 mins
Total time: 4 mins
Dietary Preferences: Vegetarian, Gluten-free, Dairy-free option
- 4 tbsp almond meal
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp low-fat milk or dairy-free milk of choice
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut or olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp low-fat yoghurt or coconut yoghurt, to serve
- Fresh berries, to serve
1. Whisk all the ingredients for the mug cake together in a small bowl.
2. Pour into a microwave-safe mug and place into a high-powered microwave for 60-70 seconds, or until the cake is cooked to your liking.
3. Serve the Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake with your toppings of choice. Enjoy!
The longer you cook the mug cake, the firmer it will be. So if you prefer a more saucy or fudgy texture, just cook the mug cake for less time. You might want to start with 40 seconds and then continue with 10-second bursts, checking every time, until it’s cooked to your liking.
Why is this healthy chocolate mug cake so good for you?
Store-bought or packaged mug cakes usually contain added refined sugar and other processed ingredients but this homemade version is packed with healthier ingredients!
The most important ingredient in this recipe is cacao powder. Cacao is a raw and unrefined version of chocolate, and no healthy chocolate dessert is complete without it.
I love this ingredient because it’s known for being full of nutrients that boost your serotonin levels, making you feel happier. It’s also high in magnesium which reduces cramping and water retention so it’s definitely one of the best foods to eat when you have your period.
To make this mug cake a little sweeter, I’ve added a small amount of maple syrup which evens out the bitterness of the cacao powder. I prefer to use maple syrup in a lot of my recipes because unlike refined sugar, it’s loaded with essential nutrients and suits most dietary preferences.
You can have the foods you enjoy as part of a balanced diet
You would have never guessed it, but this mug cake is also a good source of protein! I often talk about the importance of protein because it’s an essential macronutrient for our health, especially if you work out regularly.
Protein also makes a meal more filling which is why you only need a single-serve of this mug cake to feel satisfied! If you want to satisfy your sweet tooth with other healthy options, try my Peanut Butter Protein Brownies.
I’m sure you can now understand why this is one of my go-to recipes — and I hope it becomes one of yours too! Let me know your favourite toppings in the comments below!
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.