Healthy Carrot Cake Recipe
This healthy carrot cake is the perfect treat to make and share with your family and friends. It is a healthier version of the traditional carrot cake, and it definitely does not compromise on taste.
If you enjoy this carrot cake, but you're looking for something smaller to take the office or just snack on, try my carrot cake muffins as well!
Carrot cake recipe
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian
- 2 cups of wholemeal or spelt flour
- 3 cups of carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup of raw honey
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut cream (if you don’t have this you can substitute for ½ cup applesauce)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup of coconut cream
- 250g cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced (350F). Grease two 22 cm round cake pans with a little coconut oil.
- Using a spoon mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Beat the eggs until foamy and then pour in the honey and beat further. Add the melted coconut oil, coconut cream, vanilla extract and applesauce and beat for a further minute.
- Slowly add in the flour until it is just mixed in.
- Add in the grated carrot, walnuts and lemon zest then mix gently.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake for about 30 mins,using a toothpick inserted in the middle to check if it is cooked.
- Let the cakes cool.
- Make frosting by beating all the ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cooled cakes then sandwich them together to make one cake. Enjoy!
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.