Healthy Panzanella Salad Recipe
Panzanella is a Tuscan salad that shows how easy it is to use leftover bread and fresh, juicy tomatoes. Toasting the bread adds a little extra texture and it helps soak up some of the delicious dressing and the juice from the tomatoes. It is great as a side dish with these grilled chicken skewers too. I am sure you will love this one!
Healthy Panzanella Salad
Put that day-old bread to good use with this easy summer salad! Panzanella is so quick to make and deliciously filling as well.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Dairy-free, Nut-free
- 2 slices day-old sourdough bread
- ½ medium red capsicum
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- ¼ small red onion, sliced
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 small handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Tear the bread into bite-sized pieces and place on the lined baking tray. Lightly spray the pieces of bread with oil spray and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until crunchy, turning halfway through the cooking time. Set aside to cool.
3. Heat a small non-stick fry pan over high heat. Add the capsicum, skin side down, and cook for approximately 5-7 minutes, or until the skin starts to blister and char. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic film for 5 minutes to sweat. Peel off the skin and cut into 2cm pieces.
4. To make the dressing, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, mustard and garlic together in a small bowl.
5. Place the capsicum, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, basil leaves, sourdough and capers, if using, in a mixing bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and toss gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
6. To serve, place the Panzanella salad in a serving bowl. Enjoy!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.