Healthy Pork San Choy Bow Recipe
This delicious Pork San Choy Bow recipe has all of the taste of the traditional Chinese dish, and it is really easy to make!
You might know these as Asian lettuce cups, or as Chinese lettuce wraps — but whatever you know them as, I’m sure you’ll agree they are delicious!
Healthy San Choy Bow Recipe
Making healthy versions of takeaway favourites is fantastic as you can still get all the flavour you love. These Caribbean Chicken Tacos are another great example of how to enjoy the meals you love while still working towards your health goals.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Dietary preferences: Dairy-free, Gluten-free option
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1cm piece of ginger, finely grated
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ medium carrot, finely grated
- 250g lean pork mince
- ½ tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- juice of ½ lime, plus wedges to serve
- 1 large handful bean sprouts
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4-6 baby cos leaves
- sliced red chilli, to serve
- 1 small handful coriander leaves, picked
- 20g roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)
- Heat a large wok over medium-high heat until hot. Add the oil and carefully swirl it around to coat the sides of the wok. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the carrot and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the pork mince and cook for 5-6 minutes or until it changes colour, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon to help break up the mince.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce and stir to combine. Add the spring onions and 2 teaspoons of lime juice and cook for 2 -3 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in the beansprouts and cook for 1 minute, to soften.. Season with salt, pepper and additional lime juice, if desired.
- Spoon the pork mixture evenly into the cos lettuce leaves.
- To serve, place the pork san choy bow on two serving plates. Top with the sliced chilli, coriander and peanuts, if using. Enjoy!
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.