Healthy Snack Bar Recipe
When it comes to snack bars, sometimes it can be better to make your own. This way you can bypass buying any from the shops that can be full of refined sugar and additives! I wanted to share a simple recipe that my busy BBG girls can make for a quick on-the-go snack that doesn't give your body a sugar overload.
If you're not a fan of peanut butter, substitute the nut butter of your choice. Cashew or almond butter would work just as well. You can try a different type each time you make this recipe if you have trouble choosing a favourite nut butter.
These are the perfect snack to take to work or school, so what are you waiting for? Make your batch of healthy snack bars today!
Healthy Snack Bars
So simple to make and store in the fridge, these healthy bars are a great mid-afternoon snack.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 12 bars
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Gluten-free, Dairy-free
- 4 tbsp (¼ cup) peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- 90g (¼ cup) honey or brown rice syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 100g (3 cups) puffed rice
- 30g (¼ cup) cashew nuts
- 30g (¼ cup) pumpkin seeds
- 30g (¼ cup) dried cranberries
- 15g sunflower seeds
- 3 tsp mixed black and white sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) and line a 20cm square baking pan with baking paper. Ensure that the baking paper overhangs the sides so you can easily remove the snack bars from the pan.
2. Place the peanut butter, honey and vanilla in a small saucepan over a low heat. Heat gently until the peanut butter has softened and the ingredients are well combined, stirring frequently.
3. Meanwhile, place the puffed rice, cashew nuts, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds in a large bowl and until well combined.
4. Pour over the peanut butter and honey mixture and mix until well combined and the rice mixture is completely coated with the peanut butter and honey mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press down with the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Remove the snack bars from the pan using the overhang of the baking paper and cut into 12 bars using a sharp knife.
6. Wrap each bar individually in plastic film and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. These wrapped bars can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months, just thaw before enjoying!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.