Super Green Rice Salad Recipe
I’m sure all my BBG girls know how much I love my greens! So it’s really no surprise that I like to combine fresh greens into a delicious lunch or dinner. That’s exactly what I’ve done with this Super Green Rice Salad!
Rice is a simple gluten-free alternative to grain you can use in a salad and brown rice is a great option because it retains more nutrients than white rice. Your body also takes longer to break down brown rice, which means it doesn’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels. Adding rice to your salad makes it more filling and helps you to tick off another serving of grains for the day.
This salad is such a great one to add to your meal routine because it combines brown rice with some delicious greens, some healthy fats and a VERY tasty herb dressing!
Super Green Rice Salad Recipe
I love this salad as a light dinner but you could also pack any leftovers to have for lunch the next day!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Gluten-free
- 60g brown rice
- 6 asparagus spears, sliced on an angle
- 120g broccoli florets and stems, chopped into small pieces
- ¼ small red onion, finely sliced
- ½ medium cucumber, shaved into ribbons
- ⅓ avocado, diced
- 1 large handful watercress
- 30g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 small handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 small handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 small handful fresh dill leaves
- ½ garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp capers (optional), rinsed
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 50g low-fat plain yoghurt
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
1. To cook the rice, place the rice and 200ml water in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the asparagus and broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain and refresh under cool running water. Drain again and set aside.
3. To make the dressing, place the parsley, basil, dill, garlic, capers (if using), lemon zest and juice in a small food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the yoghurt and process until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Place the rice, asparagus, broccoli, onion, cucumber, avocado, watercress and walnut pieces in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and toss gently to combine.
5. To serve, divide the green rice salad between two serving bowls and serve with the dressing. Enjoy!
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.