Sweet Potato Waffles Recipe
If you’re feeling a bit bored with your usual breakfast, then this is a recipe you need to try!
Instead of opting for traditional sweet waffles, you can add some extra vegetables in your breakfast with this dish, which uses sweet potato.
This recipe is SO delicious — and it has a good mix of protein, carbohydrate and healthy fats to help to keep you satisfied all morning. That means plenty of nutrients and a waffle that is perfectly soft on the inside with a little crispiness outside. Are you hungry yet?
Sweet Potato Waffles Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Dairy-free, Gluten-free
- 140g cherry truss tomatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium sweet potato, grated
- 4 large eggs, 3 eggs lightly whisked
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ spring onion, finely sliced
- Oil spray
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Small handful spinach leaves
- Olive oil, to serve.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the tomatoes on the lined baking tray and drizzle with the oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
2. Preheat the waffle iron on medium heat.
3. Place the sweet potato, whisked egg, coconut flour, cumin and spring onion in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper (if desired), and mix well to combine.
4. Spray the waffle iron with oil spray. Spoon half of the sweet potato mixture into the centre of the waffle iron and close the lid. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the waffle is golden brown. Repeat with the remaining half of the batter.
5. To poach the egg, fill a saucepan with water and add the vinegar. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat before reducing heat to medium-low.
6. Break the egg into the water and cook for 2-3 minutes for a semi-soft yolk or 3-4 minutes for a firm yolk. Remove the egg from the water using a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towel.
7. To serve, place the waffles on a serving plate and top with the poached egg and avocado. Serve with the tomatoes and spinach on the side. Drizzle over some olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!
Start your day right with a healthy breakfast
If you’re short on time, you can still have a nutritious meal to start your day — even wholemeal or rye toast can be fast, healthy and delicious with a variety of different toast toppers.
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.