Zucchini Noodles with Rocket and Basil Pesto Recipe
Zucchini noodles are not your traditional noodles but they are a great way to add some green into your meals and finish off the day with a light meal. Because they are made from zucchini, these noodles are light and super quick to cook, so you can have dinner on the table in just a few minutes.
Having a spiraliser in your kitchen is so helpful for ensuring you get more vegetables into meals, whether you make noodles out of zucchini, carrot, sweet potato or squash. Plus, there are many more vegetables you can spiralise too. Zucchini is fantastic because it is easy to spiralise, quick to cook and works with a range of different flavours — but this dish is one you will probably make over and over again.
When making a dish with zucchini noodles, be sure to remove some of the excess water before cooking. I've included directions on how to cook zucchini noodles below so that this dish is made to absolute perfection.
Zucchini Noodles With Rocket And Basil Pesto
If you're already in love with zoodles (zucchini noodles), get ready to take it to a whole new level by adding this rocket and basil pesto. Take any leftovers for lunch the next day — so tasty!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Gluten-free
- 1 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
Rocket and Basil Pesto
- 1 small handful rocket leaves
- 1 small handful basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 10g walnuts
- ¼ avocado, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
1. To prepare the zucchini noodles, use a spiraliser, mandolin or shave the zucchini thinly with a peeler to create noodles. Set aside on a paper towel to soak up any excess moisture.
2. To make the pesto, place the rocket, basil, garlic and walnuts in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the avocado, lemon juice and salt and pulse again to form a thick paste. With the food processor running slowly drizzle in the olive oil until creamy and well combined.
3. Heat the oil in a non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the zucchini noodles and cook for 1-2 minutes until the zucchini and tomatoes have softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
4. Add the pesto to the warm zucchini noodles and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, if desired, and toss gently to combine.
To serve, place the pesto noodles in a serving bowl and top with the parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.