Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
Bananas are almost always in my kitchen. I use them for smoothies, snack on them with some peanut butter or add them to a sandwich for a healthy snack after a workout!
Something you might not know about bananas is they have a unique combination of nutrients that can help produce serotonin — a happiness chemical in our brain. Just one more reason to get your fill of ‘nanas!
Do you enjoy getting your banana fix with a slice of banana bread? I know so many people love to have it as a morning snack with their tea or coffee; however, most banana breads are quite heavy and full of refined sugars. Try my healthy banana bread recipe below — I promise you will love it and it has no refined sugars.
This recipe still tastes sweet, thanks to the delicious bananas and a little honey (or maple syrup, if you prefer). The beauty of this simple healthy banana bread recipe is that you can whip up a loaf on a Sunday afternoon, ready to slice up and portion out for the week ahead!
If you want to try something a bit different to a healthy banana bread loaf, these banana bread balls are perfectly portioned for a quick snack. They are a delicious bliss ball/banana bread hybrid!
Healthy Banana Bread
A great alternative to store-bought banana breads, this is a real family favourite.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 55 mins
Total time: 75 mins
Serves: Makes 1 loaf
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Gluten-free option
- 2-3 medium ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 125ml olive oil
- 80ml honey or pure maple syrup
- 60ml low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 150g wholewheat flour or gluten-free flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Grease a 11.5cm x 22cm loaf tin with oil spray and line with baking paper.
2. Mash the bananas in a large bowl and roughly mash with a fork until smooth. Add the eggs, olive oil, maple syrup, yoghurt, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir until combined.
3. Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda over the banana mixture (tip in the flour husks after sifting). Add the walnuts and stir gently until combined.
4. Pour the batter into the lined loaf tin and smooth the top using a spatula. Top the batter with the sliced banana. Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the loaf tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
Gluten-free banana bread
For a gluten-free version of this simple healthy banana bread recipe, swap the flour for a gluten-free wholewheat flour or a half-half mixture of 75g buckwheat flour and 75g almond meal.
Enjoy a slice of banana bread!
This is a delicious, easy and healthy banana bread that anyone can make.
For more tasty and healthy recipes, be sure to check out my other healthy recipes!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.