Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
Bananas are almost always in my kitchen. I use them for smoothies, snack on them with some peanut butter or add them to a sandwich for a healthy snack after a workout!
Something you might not know about bananas is they have a unique combination of nutrients that can help produce serotonin — a happiness chemical in our brain. Just one more reason to get your fill of ‘nanas!
Do you enjoy getting your banana fix with a slice of banana bread? I know so many people love to have it as a morning snack with their tea or coffee; however, most banana breads are quite heavy and full of refined sugars. Try my healthy banana bread recipe below — I promise you will love it and it has no refined sugars.
This recipe still tastes sweet, thanks to the delicious bananas and a little honey (or maple syrup, if you prefer). The beauty of this simple healthy banana bread recipe is that you can whip up a loaf on a Sunday afternoon, ready to slice up and portion out for the week ahead!
If you want to try something a bit different to a healthy banana bread loaf, these banana bread balls are perfectly portioned for a quick snack. They are a delicious bliss ball/banana bread hybrid!
My Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
A great alternative to store-bought banana breads, this is a real family favourite.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 55 mins
Total time: 75 mins
Serves: Makes 1 loaf
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Gluten-free option
- 2-3 medium ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 125ml olive oil
- 80ml honey or pure maple syrup
- 60ml low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 150g wholewheat flour or gluten-free flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Grease a 11.5cm x 22cm loaf tin with oil spray and line with baking paper.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl and roughly mash with a fork until smooth. Add the eggs, olive oil, maple syrup, yoghurt, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir until combined.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda over the banana mixture (tip in the flour husks after sifting). Add the walnuts and stir gently until combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined loaf tin and smooth the top using a spatula. Top the batter with the sliced banana. Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the loaf tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Gluten-free banana bread
For a gluten-free version of this simple healthy banana bread recipe, swap the flour for a gluten-free wholewheat flour or a half-half mixture of 75g buckwheat flour and 75g almond meal.
Enjoy a slice of banana bread!
This is a delicious, easy and healthy banana bread that anyone can make.
For more tasty and healthy recipes, be sure to check out my other healthy recipes!
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.