Healthy Chocolate Waffle Recipe
If you’ve tried my healthy waffles recipe but prefer something sweeter, you’ll love this chocolate option.
My healthy chocolate waffles are delicious and full of goodness too — the chocolate flavour comes from magnesium-rich cacao powder, and there’s maple syrup for the perfect amount of sweetness.
The best part? You can enjoy these healthy chocolate waffles for breakfast OR dessert.
Chocolate waffle recipe
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian, Nut-free
- 70g (2¼ oz) wholemeal flour
- 30g (1 oz) coconut flour
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 250ml (8 fl oz) low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- fresh mixed berries, to serve
- 200g (7 oz) low-fat plain yoghurt
- 25g (1 oz) desiccated coconut
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
1. To make the coconut yoghurt, place the yoghurt, coconut, vanilla essence and maple syrup in a small bowl and mix until well combined. Cover and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare and make the waffles.
2. Preheat the waffle iron on medium heat.
3. Sift the wholemeal flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy. Add the milk, coconut oil and maple syrup and whisk until well combined.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir until combined and smooth. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
6. Lightly spray the waffle iron with oil spray.
7. Carefully pour the batter onto the waffle iron and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the waffles are ready. Repeat until the batter is finished.
Make breakfast fun with these healthy chocolate waffles
Enjoy my healthy chocolate waffles with creamy coconut yoghurt and fresh mixed berries, or you can switch up the fruit, depending on what is in season.
I love waffles because they are such a versatile dish — you can even make them savoury for a quick and easy dinner!
For more easy chocolate recipes, try my healthy chocolate protein pancakes.
* Results may vary. Strict adherence to the nutrition and exercise guide are required for best results.