Smashed Avocado & Poached Eggs On Toast
This is a classic Australian healthy breakfast (and one of my absolute favourites!), I am yet to find one person who doesn't like it! The flavours are SO tasty, it's the perfect lazy weekend breakfast that is also super good for you. Avocados are an amazing source of Omega-3 fatty acids which are important for good brain health, glowing skin and healthy hair.
Healthy Smashed Avocado Recipe
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Dietary preferences: Vegetarian
- 1 ripe avocado
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup feta, crumbled
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint, fresh
- 1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- Red chilli flakes (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 4 slices of rye bread
1. To make the smashed avo, scoop out the avocado and use a fork to roughly mash it. Stir in the salt, feta, chopped mint, lemon juice and chilli.
2. To poach the eggs: fill a large saucepan with water and the vinegar. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium. Using a wooden spoon, create a whirlpool in the water and quickly break the eggs one at a time, into the middle of it. An easy tip is to crack your eggs individually on a small saucer first, so you can easily slip them into the water.
3. Poach eggs for 2-4 mins depending on how runny you like them. I settle for the middle - 3 minutes.
4. Toast your bread.
5. Assemble smashed avo on your toast, topped with poached eggs and a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Enjoy! Avocados are such a great source of healthy fats, especially in the morning. But if you're not that keen on them, there are plenty of healthy alternatives to avocado you can try.
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.